Powder coating ovens are a great way to turn your vision into a reality. So how do you know which one is right for you?
Well, there’s tons of factors to take into consideration when choosing the right size powder coating oven. In order to help make this decision easy for you, we’ve listed out some things you’ll definitely want to consider before buying.
When assessing your upcoming needs, ask yourself these questions:
- How many square feet of powder coating area do I need?
- What type of oven is the best option for me?
- Do I have enough electrical access in my building to accommodate an industrial sized oven?
- How much does it cost to run my oven?
- Will the oven be used for small or large projects?
How many square feet of powder coating area do I need?
The simplest way to determine your total area is to measure all sides of your project. For example, if you have a 4’x8′ project piece, your total area will be 4’x16′. If you have multiple pieces of varying sizes, add them together to find your total square footage.
Once you know how much space you’re working with, you can choose which oven fits your needs the best (and is most importantly, within your budget). Powder coating ovens are sized in BTU’s of output.
What type of oven is the best option for me?
There are a few different types of powder coating ovens to choose from when selecting your size: Asphalt, Single Door or Double Door. Each has their own unique set of benefits so it’s important for you to understand what each one will give you before choosing.
- Single Door Oven: With a single door, this unit will allow the user to cure two different batches of powder independently at the same time. This saves both time and money when it comes to working on large or multi-piece projects.
- Double Door Oven: Like the name suggests, this oven has two doors to allow the user to cure two batches of powder independently. This is the most popular type of oven for commercial use, since you can work on multiple projects at once.
- Asphalt Oven: With an asphalt oven, you’ll get more heat out of less BTU’s. Since it uses gas combustion technology, this unit will heat up fast and maintain a stable temperature.
Do I have enough electrical access to accommodate an industrial sized oven?
Most powder coating ovens come equipped with standard plug-ins that you can connect directly into your wall outlet, but it’s important to check before ordering. Also, ask about available voltage types if you need more than one.
How much does it cost to run my oven?
What’s the cost of your powder coating oven per hour? This is an important question to ask yourself before making a purchase. Some ovens are more efficient than others, so keep in mind that you may have to pay more for higher BTU outputs over lower ones.
Will the oven be used for small or large projects?
If you’re planning to work on smaller projects, it may not make sense to buy a larger powder coating oven than needed. You’ll want to look at both BTU’s and area when determining what size oven will work best for you.
Speaking to a powder coating oven manufacturer can help you gain clarity on any other questions and what options are best for you.